Monday, February 18, 2013

Broadway & Restaurant Week

Winter is miserable, agreed?
Trying to dig us out of Nemo
I've been hibernating in our apartment trying to avoid the flu and freezing (also, not having a car doesn't give me any other options). Thank goodness for my wonderful friends who deliver me from my solitude with lunch dates and girl's nights. These few months, after the tourists have left and the snow has lured people inside, is the perfect time to catch a Broadway show. Prices are low and tickets aplenty.

A group of us decided to plan a night out in the city to escape the winter blues. We rode in the Neeleman 12-seater van, which was an adventure itself. When we got to the city we took advantage of Restaurant Week and ate at Brasserie 8 1/2, a French restaurant in Midtown. The food was delicious. I had the best kale salad of my life (never thought I'd say those words), mini baguettes, butternut squash risotto and a lemon tart.


After dinner we saw Cinderella. Laura Osnes is the perfect Disney princess--her voice is perfect. The show was funny and so well done. I forget the caliber of Broadway so I'm always blown away by the talent, costumes and sets. The costume changes in this show in particular were amazing. Don't blink or you'll miss them.
Ashley, Colleen, Dayna, Breauna, Nicki, Shelley, Me, Natalie & Tiffany (cut out of the picture sadly) 
Me, Shelley, Nicki

A few weeks later Nicole and I saw Mary Poppins. It's leaving Broadway on March 3rd so I was determined to see it before I left to visit Utah.  We grabbed a quick bite at a corner deli before the show. I heard rave reviews of Mary Poppins and I have to second them all. My only issue is that they changed the words to the song "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious." I memorized how to say that word backwords for nothing!? Otherwise, it was incredibly entertaining and almost like seeing Julie Andrews play the part herself.
We even matched with our boots, leggings, dress, sweater & puffy coat. Great minds, great taste. 

1 comment:

  1. So fun that you & Nicole saw Mary Poppins! One of my faves for sure.

    ReplyDelete